Dan Rockwell (The Leadership Freak) recently posted this on his website. He has some great insight into what motivates your team and what doesn't. As a leader we should always pay attention to our team and ask how we can best motivate them to be their best.
Originally posted by Dan Rockwell on May 23, 2014
It takes a miracle to re-ignite a fire once you’ve hosed it down.
Skillful leaders use words to energize and release. Foolish leaders rein in and control.
Everyone has a fire inside. Leadership’s role is throwing gas on it.
5 things energizing leaders never say:
1. “Do it my way.” Every time someone does it your way they lose energy.
2. “It doesn’t matter.”
3. “Do it or else.”
4. “I sure told them what to do!”
5. “Just do your best.” Fuzzy expectations never energize.
It’s easier to throw wood on a fire than to start one from scratch.
6 ways to energize teammates:
1. Clarify focus. Wandering in the weeds drains energy.
2. Simplifying next steps.
3. Keep people in the loop.
4. Respect their talent and contribution.
5. Solve meaningful problems together.
6. Finish something today.