Hey Leader! You are a hero. Did you know that? I bet it wasn't easy becoming the leader you are today.
Great Leaders are Heroes who go through a lot to earn this title. In fact, it is in the midst of hard times and moments of obscurity when leaders become heroes.
Take a brief look at some of our greatest presidents:
- Abe Lincoln had a divided country and a Civil War at the start of his presidency.
- Washington had to lead divided states as one country.
- F.D.R. dealt with the Great Depression and World War II.
- Even Chester Arthur, the President everyone forgets, (President from 1881 to 1885) proved he possessed the basic qualities of a great leader, after taking over for the former President Garfield who was assassinated.
Other examples of leaders who faced cycles of obscurity:
- Moses lived on the backside of a mountain for 40 years as a shepherd.
- David was on the run from Saul for years and then later in life was on the run from his own son, Absalom, who was trying to take over the kingdom.
- The king of Babylon, Nebuchadnezzar, went certifiably insane and thought himself an animal for 7 years.
- Even Jesus lived a life as a nobody for 30 years before starting his ministry to save the world.
Tough times breed great leaders. If you look at many of the famous leaders throughout history, you'll notice they became famous because they navigated through seemingly impossible times. Heroes or Leaders go through a cycle as they grow. This cycle allows a person to become the Leader they always wanted to be. It doesn't just happen on its own.
The following video is from a Ted Talk on the process of how one becomes a hero. I was encouraged by this video because I have experienced tough times in my leadership, as I am sure you have as well.
Lesson by Matthew Winkler, animation by Kirill Yeretsky.
Embrace the Hero's Journey. Try to stay patient, remain excited about your leadership and view tough times as an opportunity to test your skills as a leader.
What pattern of your hero's journey are you on? Can you identify the categories of your own life and how they fit in this cycle?
Be sensitive to this cycle in your own life and see how it comes about:
1. Listen to your call for Adventure
2. Accept the Challenge
3. Conquer your fear
4. And Claim your treasure you seek
...then repeat the cycle